Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year's Eve

Tomorrow, a new chapter will begin,
nothing will end. Every second is ending
that hollow space of time that lingers
only in headlines, in scraps of paper,
in memory, that space of time
I plucked petals from, slowly
counting days and nights, waiting
under the stars. Everything was a dream
shot down, like those fireworks sent up
to light the evening, to reveal the face
of our maker, if he even exists,
to knock on his gate, to remind him we are here
in case he forgot. They flash before my eyes,
humbling me, reminding me I am human,
that every dream is just waiting
to burst in a million colors
and fall back to where they came from.
They flash across the sky, merrily
glowing, blinking, dying, reminding
that Eve is just around the bend, waiting
under the stars, waiting to burst
in a million colors, hiding in this Eden.

No comments: